| || || |
| Kamu cruise || Kamu lodge restaurant || Kamu lodge badroom |
| || || |
| Luangsay lodge room || Kamu lodge bedroom || Kamu lodge bathroom |
- From 1 November 2013 to 30 April 2014 and 1-31 October 2014, the cruise departs every Monday, Thursday and Friday. Every Sunday, the cruise departs with Pak Ou I boat.
- From 1 May 2014 to 30 September 2014, the cruise departs every Monday and Friday.
About Luangsay Lodge
Built along the Mekong River, 1 km from Pakbeng Village half way between HoueiSay and Luang Prabang.The construction is of tropical hardwood in the Lao traditional style and decoration - 19 rooms + restaurant, bar and central terrace linked by gangways.
Each pavilion has a terrace offering a fabulous view over the Mekong river and Valley. Each pavilion has private toilet / shower room and hot water.(1 bedroom and 2 bedrooms pavilions). 24h electricity supply, by 2 silent running generators.
LuangSay Lodge hired a dance teacher to teach Khamu and Hmong people tribal dancing, which is now performed regularly. The Lodge also supports the financing of local musical instruments. Dancers and musicians are now able to earn their living without sacrificing their culture and traditions, as LuangSay was able to revive these old traditions for them which had been lost from the Pakbeng area.
A stay at the Luang Say Lodge is worth the trip itself. Built on the shores of the Mekong River (on the Laos side) in the traditional Lao style of solid wood, this elegantly appointed lodge features:
- 16 pavilions with a total of 19 rooms and 38 beds.
- 180 degree open-shudder window views of the lush riverside gardens and Mekong valley.
- Private shower bathrooms with western toilets and hot water.
- Individual fans and mosquito netting.
- A restaurant terrace overlooking the Mekong.
About Luangsay Boats
Luang Say Mekong Cruise has three boats travelling from Houseiay to Luang prabang, or, from Luang Prabang to Houeisay. Both cruises stop over for one night in our Luang say lodge in Pakbeng.
Our boats are 34 metres long with a 420 HP engine and a steel hull for strength and safety. The boats have a capacity for 40 people in comfortable seats and benches. Each seat has an open air vista. We have coffee tables with magazines and booklets to read during your cruise.The central section of our Luangsay boats have bench seats, a perfect spot for a game of cards, to share your Mekong stories, or to have lunch.
Each cruise departure has both a French and English speaking guide who are able to answer your questions and point out any sights of interest along the way. We also have a fearless captain, a qualified mechanic and a boat boy.
On board we have two western style toilets, one at the back of the boat and one next to the bar in the central section.
Life jackets are available in a variety of sizes including childrens sizes. There are also rails around the sides of the boat for safety. Luggage can be stored overnight in a large compartment underneath the deck where it can be locked away.
About Kamu Lodge:
Only 3 hours from Luang Prabang and overlooking the mighty Mekong, a unique lodge is about to open on a wonderful site. The Kamu Lodge features 20 canvas tents covered by a thatched roof in harmony with the surrounding nature and adapted to the local style. Each tent is decorated with bamboo and wooden furniture items and has an attached private bathroom with shower and toilet and solar-powered warm water and electricity.
Day 1: Houei Sai – Pakbeng (L, D)
Luang Say boat leaves slow boat pier at 9a.m. for cruising down the Mekong River to Luang Say Lodge in Pakbeng. One stop is made en route to Pakbeng to observe some rural life along the Mekong River at Ban Houei Phalam; a Kamu village. A buffet lunch is served on board. The boat arrives at Luang Say Lodge before sunset for an overnight stay and a dinner is served on the terrace overlooking the Mekong River.
Day 2: Pakbeng – Kamu Lodge (B, L, D)
A continental breakfast is served on the terrace from 7a.m. The boat leaves Luang Say Lodge at 8a.m. and the first stop is at Ban Baw village to observe the process of making traditional rice alcohol. A buffet lunch is served on board. Then, the boat arrives at Kamu Lodge around 2p.m. so you will be able to check in and participate in different activities such as; visiting Kamu village, archery contest, rice planting and harvesting, traditional fishing and gold panning (January to June). A set menu dinner is served at the open air restaurant and you will stay overnight at Kamu Lodge.
Day 3: Kamu Lodge – Pak Ou – Luang Prabang (B, L)
A continental breakfast is served at the restaurant from 7a.m. Kamu boat leaves at 8a.m. and stops opposite the mouth of the Nam Ou River to visit Pak Ou caves where there are two caves ‘Tham Ting’ and ‘Tham Phoum’ and thousands of Buddha images. The boat arrives in Luang Prabang at Kamu boat pier (a UNESCO world heritage city) before lunch. A lunch set menu is served at a local restaurant.
Cost in USD per person :
| No of pax || 2 - 8 || 9 - 40 || Single Sup |
| 1 Sep. 2013 – 30 Sep. 2013 || 530 || 500 || 98 |
| 1 Oct. 2013 – 30 Oct. 2013 || 662 || 626 || 120 |
| 1 Nov. 2013 – 30 Apr. 2014 |
1 Oct. 2014 – 31 Oct. 2014
| 630 || 594 || 116 |
| 1 Jul. 2014 – 31 Aug. 2014 || 538 || 507 || 100 |
| 1 May 2014 – 30 Jun. 2014 |
1 Sep. 2014 – 30 Sep. 2014
| 506 || 477 || 94 |
- Child age 2-12 years old discount 50% when sharing room with parents. Infant (less than 2 years old) = free of charge.
- Transfer from Laos immigration at Houei Sai to slow boat pier for the downstream program or vice versa for upstream programs.
- 3-day cruise with stops and admission fees at visiting sites serviced by English and French speaking escorts for Luangsay program.
- 1 night accommodation at Luang Say Lodge & 1 night accommodation at Kamu Lodge.
- Meal plan as mentioned in the program.
- Coffee, tea and drinking water on board and during meals.
- Crew service during the cruise.
- A shuttle boat (15 minutes) from Chiangkhong to Hoiei say for the downstram program or vice versa for upstream program.
- A transfer from Wat Xieng Thong pier in Luang prabang to hotel for down stream cruise.
- A transfer from hotel in Luang prabang to Kamu lodge pier for upstream program.
- Visa, immigration and/or overstay fees in Thailand and in Laos.
- Soft and alcoholic drinks during the trip.
- Services in Luang Prabang.
- Personal insurance and other personal expenses.
- Luang Say downstream cruise departs from slow boat pier in Houei Sai at 9a.m. so please be at Luang Say office in Houei Sai (next to Laos immigration) by 8.30a.m. at the latest.
- For downstream cruises, a luggage tag will be given at Chiang Khong (Thailand border).
- For Luang Say upstream cruise, Kamu boat departs at 9a.m. from Kamu Lodge pier in Luang Prabang, please be at the pier by 8.45a.m. at the latest.
- Please bring a jersey/a jacket as it can get cool at the lodge and on the boat from Oct to Feb.
- It is possible to leave your suitcase and luggage on the boat and take only a small daypack with a change of clothes. This is advisory as the steps to Luang Say Lodge are quite steep.
- For Kamu Lodge, it is not possible to accommodate 3 adults in the same tent. Only one child is allowed to share a tent with parents.
- Please fully charge your electronic equipment as there is no plug available at Kamu Lodge.
- For safety reasons and the weather conditions, the program may change without prior notice.
Transfers between Thailand and Luang Say Pier in Houeisay / Laos:
Luang Say cruises start or end at the pier next to the Immigration checkpoint at Houeisay, the Lao border town on the north bank of Mekong River. On the opposite bank to Houeisay on the south bank of Mekong River, is Chiang Khong (Chiang Rai province) the Thai border town. Crossing the river from one checkpoint to the other takes only 5 minutes by regular shuttle boats. Chiang Khong is linked by good roads to Chiang Rai town and airport (2 hours drive) or Chiang Saen (1 hour drive). Luang Say may arrange individual or group transfers between Chiang Rai or Chiang Saen and Houeisay or vice versa at extra costs that include road transportation,shuttle boat, porter age of luggage and assistance for immigration formalities both sides of the Mekong River.
Please contact us if you request road transportation from Chiangrai to Chiangkhong!